BioWare Gene Gun
Utilizing designed nozzles and lower pressure or cheaper gases, various biological materials can be delivered to all target tissues, animals and plants supersonically and effectively.
Comparing BioWare gene gun and the current products on the market, the latter is expensive, less effect in clinic and must use gold particles as a carrier.
BioWare gene guns are relatively low-cost to manufacture and easy to use, and are quite competitive product of the same types of devices.
Lightweight and easy to operate is the most important characteristic of future gene guns for clinical treatment.
The present invented apparatus is designed for miniaturization with low cost.
The company has completed in vivo tests of animal and plant in laboratory with the prototype of the gene gun.Further development of product will give priority to foreign biotech instrument manufacturers or their subsidiaries in Taiwan as a partner for consultation or participation in development.
Currently the gene gun is mainly used in the following areas:
1、Characteristics of the BioWare gene gun:
四、Comparison between BioWare Gene Gun and Traditional Gene Gun
(1) Does not cause damage to the tissue, and the sample damage rate is reduced
(2) Low pressure, low dose, low noise
(3) Lower price
(4) Helium can be replaced by nitrogen
(5) No need to use gold particles as a carrier
(6) The machine is light
2、Disadvantages of traditional models:
(1) Uneven distribution of particles, and damage to tissue
(2) The sonic boom is unbearable to the test animal
(3) Machines are expensive
(4) The sample preparation process is complicated
(5) Small application range of delivery materials
National Innovation Award in 2002
International journal papers published
2. Cheng WF, Hung CF, Chen CA, Lee CN, Su YN, Chai CY, Boyd DA, Hsieh CY, Wu TC. 2005. Characterization of DNA vaccines encoding the domains of calreticulin for their ability to elicit tumor-specific immunity and antiangiogenesis.Vaccine. 23(29): 3864-74.
4. Hsieh CY, Chen CA, Huang CY, Chang MC, Lee CN, Su YN, Cheng WF. 2007. IL-6-Encoding Tumor Antigen Generates Potent Cancer Immunotherapy Through Antigen Processing and Anti-apoptotic Pathways. Mol. Ther. 15(10) : 1890-7.
5. Bao-Wei Wang, Huei-Fong Hong, Hung Chang, Peiliang Kuan, and Kou-Gi Shyu. 2007. Mechanical stretch enhances the expression of resistin gene in cultured cardiomyocytes via tumor necrosis factor-α. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293：H2305–H2312.
6. Chia-Yen Huang, Chi-An Chen, Chien-Nan Lee, Ming-Cheng Chang, Yi-Ning Su, Yi-Chun Lin, Chang-Yao Hsieh, Wen-Fang Cheng. 2007. DNA vaccine encoding heat shock protein 60 co-linked to HPV16 E6 and E7 tumor antigens generates more potent immunotherapeutic effects than respective E6 or E7 tumor antigens. Gynecologic Oncology 107(3):404-412.
7. Wen-Pin Cheng, Huei-Fong Hung, Bao-Wei Wang, and Kou-Gi Shyu. 2008. The molecular regulation of GADD153 in apoptosis of cultured vascular smooth muscle cells by cyclic mechanical stretch. Cardiovascular Research. 77 (3) : 551-559.
8. Lin CC, Yen MC, Lin CM, Huang SS, Yang HJ, Chow NH, Lai MD. 2008. Delivery of noncarrier naked DNA vaccine into the skin by supersonic flow induces a polarized T helper type 1 immune response to cancer. The Journal of Gene Medicine. 10(6):679-89.
9. Ming-Ling Chang, Jeng-Chang Chen, Chau-Ting Yeh, Ming-Yu Chang, Chun-Kai Liang, Cheng-Tang Chiu, Deng-Yn Lin, and Yun-Fan Liaw. 2008. Gene Gun Bombardment with DNA-Coated Gold Particles Is a Potential Alternative to Hydrodynamics-Based Transfection for Delivering Genes into Superficial Hepatocytes. HUMAN GENE THERAPY. 19:391–395.
10. Cheng WF, Chang MC, Sun WZ, Lee CN, Lin HW, Su YN, Hsieh CY and Chen CA. 2008. Connective tissue growth factor linked to the E7 tumor antigen generates potent antitumor immune responses mediated by an antiapoptotic mechanism. Gene Ther. Mar 20. 15 (13) : 1007-16.
12. Chen SH, Wang BW, Wang DL and Shyu KG. 2008 Hypoxia induce discoidin domain receptor-2 expression via the p38 pathway in vascular smooth muscle cell to increase their migration. Biochemica and Biophysical Research Communication. 374：662-667.
13. Wang BW, Chang H, Kuan P and Shyu KG. 2008. Angiotensin II actirates myostatin expression in cultured rat neonatal cardiomyocytes via p38 MAP kinase and myocyte enhance factor 2 pathway. Journal of Endocrinology. 197：85-93.
17. Lai MD, Yen MC, Lin CM, Tu CF, Wang CC, Lin PS, Huang HJ, and Lin CC. 2009. The effects of DNA formulation and administration route on cancer therapeutic efficacy with xenogenic EGFR DNA vaccine in a lung cancer animal model. Genet Vaccines Ther. 2009 7(1):2.
18. Chen CA, Chang MC, Sun WZ, Chen YL, Chiang YC, Hsieh CY, Chen SM, Hsiao PN, and Cheng WF. 2009. Noncarrier naked antigen-specific DNA vaccine generates potent antigen-specific immunologic responses and antitumor effects. Gene Therapy. (2009) 16, 776-787.
20. Shyu KG, Chua SK, Wang BW and Kuan P. 2009. Mechanism of inhibitory effect of atorvastatin on resistin expression induced by tumor necrosis factor-α in macrophages. Journal of Biomedical Science 2009, 16:50.
21. Shyu KG, Wang BW and Chang H.2009. Hyperbaric oxygen activates discoidin domain receptor 2 via tumour necrosis factor-α and the p38 MAPK pathway to increase vascular smooth muscle cell migration through matrix metalloproteinase 2. Clinical Science 116, 575–583.
23. Huang Chia-Hsin.Chang Chia-Che.Lin Chiu-Mei.Wang Sin-Ting.Wu Min-Tze.Li Eric I. C..Chang Hsien-Chang.Lin Chi-Chen.Promoting effect of Antrodia camphorata as an immunomodulating adjuvant on the antitumor efficacy of HER-2/neu DNA vaccine.Cancer Immunol Immunother.2010 March 17.
24. Huang CH, Chang CC, Lin CM, Wang ST, Wu MT, Li EIC, Chang HC, Lin CC. 2010. Promoting effect of Antrodia camphorate as an immunomodulating adjuvant on the antitumor efficacy of HER-2/neu DNA vaccine. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2010 Apr 14.
26. Shyu KG, Wang BW, Chen WJ, Kuan P, and Hung CR. 2010. Mechanism of the inhibitory effect of atorvastatin on endoglin expression induced by transforming growth factor-β1 in cultured cardiac fibroblasts European Journal of Heart Failure 12, 219–226.
27. Shyu KG, Wang BW, Lin CM, Chang H. 2010. Cyclic stretch enhances the expression of Toll-like Receptor 4 gene in cultured cardiomyocytes via p38 MAP kinase and NF-κB pathway Journal of Biomedical Science 17:15..
28. Chen CA, Ho CM, Chang MC, Sun WZ, Chen YL, Chiang YC, Syu MH, Hsieh CY and Cheng WF. 2010. Metronomic Chemotherapy Enhances Antitumor Effects of Cancer Vaccine by Depleting Regulatory T Lymphocytes and Inhibiting Tumor. Angiogenesis. Mol Ther 2010 Apr 6.
29. Chiu Chiung-Zuan, Wang Bao-Wei, Chung Tun-Hui and Shyu Kou-Gi .Angiotensin II and the ERK pathway mediate the induction of myocardin by hypoxia in cultured rat neonatal cardiomyocytes.Clinical Science (2010) 119, 273–282
Lin Chi-Chen,Yu Yen-Ling,Shih Chia-Chiao,Liu Ko-Jiunn,Ou Keng-LiangHong Ling-Zong,Chen Jody D. C.,Chu Ching-Liang. A novel adjuvant Ling Zhi-8 enhances the eYcacy of DNA cancer vaccine by activating dendritic cells. ORIGINAL ARTICLE. Cancer Immunol Immunother(2011).
36. Cheng Wen-Pin, Wang Bao-Wei, Chen Shih-Chung, Chang Hang, Shyu Kou-Gi. Mechanical stretch induces the apoptosis regulator PUMA in vascular smooth muscle cells. Cardiovascular Research 2012; 93: 181-189
39. TY Weng, SS Huang, MC Yen, CC Lin, YL Chen, CM Lin, WC Chen, CY Wang, JY Chang and MD Lai. A Novel Cancer Therapeutic Using Thrombospondin 1 in Dendritic Cells. Molecular Therapy (2013) doi:10.1038/mt.2013.236.
40. BW Wang, GJ Wu, WP Cheng, KG Shyu. Mechanical stretch via transforming growth factor-β1 activates microRNA-208a to regulate hypertrophy in cultured rat cardiac myocytes. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association (2013) Volume 112, Issue 10.